Thank you for visiting our BF Prairie Dog Relocation Project Blog.
We are a group of residents that live in Bosque Farms, New Mexico that have committed to a project to relocate a 100 to 200 Gunnison Prairie Dogs that live in a colony that is located on that longer contains the vegetation necessary to feed this population of prairie dogs. We are partnered with Prairie Dog Pals, a local non profit to arrange the relocation of this colony.
Our current needs are:
1. The approximate cost to move a prairie dog is 35.00/Prairie Dog. We are looking to initially raise $3500.00 - $7,000.00. All donations are appreciated. Thank you
2. Gift cards to Lowes or Home Depot
3. Timothy or orchard grass hay
4. People to join us that are interested in conserving the population of Prairie Dogs in the Bosque Farms/Peralta. Los Lunas area and a few volunteers to assist the day of the move.
We appreciate your assitance. Please contact us for any other donations you might have. firstname.lastname@example.org
Prairie Dog Facts
1. Prairie dogs are a keystone species with up to 205 associated vertebrates (9 considered dependant) living with them, using their burrows, or predating upon them.
2.There are 5 species of prairie dogs. The ones in Bosque Farms are Gunnison’s.
3.Over the last 100 years prairie dogs have been reduced to 1% of their former range and 2% of their population.
4.Some of the species are listed under the Endangered Species Act. Others are being considered for listing.
5.New Mexico has the smallest remaining acreage of prairie dogs.
6.Prairie dogs have the most complex language of any animal ever studied.
7.They have over 200 words and can form sentences identifying intruders by color, size and type of risk.
8.Burrows are complex with a different area for each function of life. There are living chambers, sleeping and nesting rooms, a food storage area, toilet rooms, and flood chambers. The burrows themselves generally include a second entrance or escape way, air chambers, and listening posts in addition to the main entrance.